Chair programme group developmental psychology UvA. We offer a bachelor specialisation in clinical developmental psychology, a master track in clinical developmental psychology , a master track in development and health, and participate in the research master psychology. A key asset of this research master is that it offers a clinical track, in which students are both trained in research and in their clinical skills.
Teaching of the following courses:
- evidence based clinical practice
- multilevel analysis
- current issues in child and adolescent development
Research concerns "Formal modeling of behavior and brain activity, in particular related to (a)typical development and aging". That is we use mathematical and statistical models to obtain more insight into human development google scholar
Ongoing projects focus on decision making, reinforcement learning, risk taking and motivation:
- formal models development of reinforcement learning (PhD student Jessica Schaaf, supervision with Marieke Jepma & Ingmar Visser): strategies, rule learning, hierarchical Bayesian modeling, time series analysis
- formal models development of reinforcement learning (postdoc Marieke Jepma): strategies, confidence, feedback valence, Kalman filter, time series analysis
- formal models decision making strategies (PhD student Jacqueline Zadelaar, supervision with Lourens Waldorp & Wouter Weeda): MIMIC latent variable models, integrated fMRI and behavior analysis, decision strategies
- enhancing motivation to learn (PhD student Anne-Wil Kramer, supervision with Lydia Krabbendam & Anna van Duijvenvoorde): effort discounting, motivation, educational neuroscience
- risk taking in ADHD (PhD student Tycho Dekkers, supervsion with Brenda Jansen & Arne Popma): scientist practitioner, dual hormone hypothesis, peer influence, decision strategies, parental monitoring
- peer influence in mild to borderline intellectual disability (PhD student Eline Wagemaker, supervision with Elsek Salemink, Anika Bexkens, Tycho Dekkers):peer influence, risk taking, intellectual disability
- Advanced Neuropsychological Diagnostics Infrastructure (PhD student Nathalie de Vent, supervision with Ben Schmand & Jaap Murre): assessment, single participant analysis, Parkinson, Alzheimer
Publications in 2019
- Agelink van Rentergem, JA, de Vent, NR, Schmand, BA, Murre, JMJ, Staaks, J, ANDI Consortium, Huizenga, HM (in press) The Factor Structure of Cognitive Functioning in Cognitively Healthy Participants: A Meta-Analysis and Meta-Analysis of Individual Participant Data. Neuropsychology Review.
- Schaaf, J, Jepma, M, Visser, I, & Huizenga, HM (in press). A Hierarchical Bayesian Approach to assess Learning and Guessing Strategies in Reinforcement Learning. Journal of Mathematical Psychology.
- Zadelaar, J, Weeda,WD, Waldorp,LJ, Van Duijvenvoorde, ACK, Blankenstein, NE, Huizenga, HM (in press). Are individual differences quantitative or qualitative? An integrated behavioral and fmri mimic approach. Neuroimage.
- Liu, Y. ….., Huizenga HM*, Wiers, RW* (in press). Is (poly-) substance use associated with impaired inhibitory control? A mega-analysis controlling for confounders. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews. (*: shared senior authorship).
- Agelink van Rentergem, JA*, de Vent, NR*, Huizenga, HM, Murre, JMJ, ANDI consortium,& Schmand, BA (in press). Predicting Progression to Parkinson’s Disease Dementia Using Modern Neuropsychological Techniques. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society. (*: shared first authorship).
- Dekkers, TJ, Agelink van Rentergem, J, Huizenga, HM, Raber, H, Shoham, R, Popma, A, Pollak, Y (in press). Decision-making deficits in Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are not related to risk seeking but to suboptimal decision making: meta-analytical and novel experimental evidence. Journal of Attention Disorders.
- Steingroever, H, Jepma, M, Lee, MD, Jansen, BRJ, Huizenga, HM (2019). Detecting strategies in developmental psychology, Computational Brain and Behavior, 1-13.
- Dekkers, TJ*, Agelink van Rentergem, JA*, Meijer, B, Popma, A, Huizenga, HM (2019). A meta-analytical evaluation of the dual-hormone hypothesis: Does cortisol moderate the relationship between testosterone and status, dominance, risk taking, aggression, and psychopathy? Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, 96, 250-271. (*: shared first authorship).
- Pollak, Y, Dekkers, TJD, Shoham, R, Huizenga, HM (2019). Risk taking in attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): a review of potential underlying mechanisms and of interventions. Current Psychiatry Reports, 21:33
- Bexkens, A, Huizenga, HM, Collot d’Escury, AML, Bredman, JC, Wagemaker, E & Van der Molen, MW (2019). Peer-influence effects on risk taking in adolescents, with Mild to Borderline Intellectual Disability and/or Behavior Disorders. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 47(3), 543-555.
- Verburg, M., Snellings, P., Zeguers, M. H. T., & Huizenga, H. M. (2019). Positive-blank versus negative-blank feedback learning in children and adults. The Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 72(4), 753–763.